What is it?
CommonLit is a free online learning platform that provides lesson plans and activities to support learners’ reading and writing skills. It provides a free collection of fiction and nonfiction, ranging from 3rd to 12th grade reading levels and aligned to the Common Core State Standards. With free accounts, teachers can assign passages to multiple students in their digital classrooms, and students can highlight and annotate the passages that they ready.
How to obtain it?
Visit the website and create a free account. Students can also create free accounts.
What are the benefits?
- Free digital lesson library
- Standards aligned
- Leveled reading
- Ability to track student progress
- Focused on developing reading, writing, communication, and problem solving skills that will be needed for postsecondary education
- Includes guiding and assessment questions
- Can search by level, genre, or literary device
What are the drawbacks?
- Texts do not adjust to multiple levels
How can CommonLit be used in education?
- For providing students with level-appropriate reading practice
- For activating background knowledge on a specific subject
- For finding supplemental texts for classroom use