Voice of America (VOA) Learning English
What is it?
Voice of America (VOA) Learning English is a website that simplifies news and information to help learners be able to read, listen, and understand the content and improve their English language skills. The subject matter is gathered from radio, television, and the Internet and covers a wide variety of topics from across the world. This site contains captioned videos, audio, podcasts, and online texts. social media graphics
What are the benefits?
- Users can select their language from a menu.
- This tool is compliant with section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and is deemed accessible.
- Users can subscribe to different video feeds.
- Vocabulary words are added to the articles.
- Videos and audio contain scripts and subtitles.
- The narrator speaks slowly which is beneficial to those who are learning English.
- Lessons are provided that cover listening, reading, speaking, pronunciation, and comprehension.
- There are special sections on American history can be helpful for civics instruction.
What are the drawbacks?
- While the videos are arranged by broad topics, there is no filter to narrow down the choices if users are looking for something specific.
How can it be used?
- English language teachers can use it to supplement lessons.
- Students can use it to practice their English skills on their own time.
Introduction to VOA Learning English