The Language Experience Approach (LEA)
The Language Experience Approach (LEA) is a strategy used to engage English language learners at the pre-literacy or beginning literacy proficiency level in reading and writing activities. Through this approach, instructors are able to elicit student-generated content that is then used for reading, writing, vocabulary, and phonics instruction. This approach can be used with small groups, one-on-one tutoring, and in a multilevel ESOL classroom.
These resources provide a more in-depth look at this approach, the process for using it in the classroom, ideas for generating experience stories and for extending-learning with student-generated texts, and sample lesson plans.
- The Language Experience Approach and Adult Learners
- The Language Experience Approach for ESL Reading (the individual learner)
- Experience Stories: A Strategy for Reading & Writing Practice for Beginning Literacy Learners
- Steps for Creating a Language Experience Story: Video Demonstration
- Language Experience Approach Examples from Pima Community College