This month’s technology tool, Nearpod, was recommended by our Literacy Specialist, Elizabeth Severson-Irby. This tool was used for a student presentation in a class that she is taking.
What is it?
Nearpod provides a way for teachers to create, download, and teach interactive lessons. Just upload your document and convert it to an interactive lesson by including engaging activities such as quizzes, polls, draw it, open-ended questions, and 3D objects.
How do you obtain it?
You sign up for it. Nearpod can be used on computers, chrome books, iPads, iPhones, and Android devices. It also works on any operating system or browser.
What are the benefits?
- Nearpod contains a library of lessons.
- It works with Google Docs and can be integrated with learning management systems such as Canvas and Schoology.
- Nearpod does not collect personally identifiable student information or share private information with third parties.
What are the drawbacks?
- The library of lessons is aimed at K-12 education.
- A paid subscription is needed for more storage space and to integrate Nearpod with an LMS.
- It is unknown if it is accessible.
How can it be used in education?
- Nearpod can be used to create interactive lessons.
- This tool can be used to assess student learning.
- Nearpod can be used as a presentation tool in a live classroom, and polls and quizzes can be used to quickly check student understanding of topics.
The teacher starts the lesson.
The student gets the class code and logs in using the student account.