Career Pathways Summit: Research, Practice, & Partners
Summit presentations now available!
Presentations from the morning research keynote address, afternoon sessions, and the badging presentation from the Career Coach session are now available. We will continue to add resources as we receive them.
Morning Keynote Address & Respondent Panel
Where are they now?
Are adult learners advancing in their careers? Is their earning power growing? What do the 10-year trends tell us about program design, job placement, and policy guidance?
Join in person or via livestream for a presentation on the newly-released national research and decision tools on career pathway 10-year trajectories and a respondent panel of adult career pathway providers from across Virginia.
Guest Presenter, Dr. Deena Schwartz, Abt Associates, Principal Investigator
Respondent Panel, Sarah Morton, Workforce Director, Virginia Career Works, Facilitator
- Corey McCray, Camp Community College President
- Andrea Livick, Jobstarter Coordinator, Blue Ridge Community College
- Christina Brooks, Senior Director, NextGen and Special Projects, Hampton Roads Workforce Council
- Traci D. Branch, Statewide Transition Specialist, Deaf Services, DARS
- Carolina Lugo, Director of Programs, Sacred Heart Center
This will be an exploration on how we can deepen our career pathway work for adults in Virginia and meet our workforce and economic development goals and help students meet their goals. Bring your questions!
Tuesday, November 1, 9 a.m.–12 p.m. in the VCU Student Commons
All workforce development system partners, including practitioners at all levels from adult education (Title II), the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS, Title IV), the Virginia Community College System (VCCS, Title I), the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC, Title III), and anyone interested in research on what’s working for adult learners in the workforce development system.
Keynote speaker, Dr. Schwartz and the respondent panel will discuss findings from the Career Pathways Descriptive and Analytical Project Study by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Chief Evaluation Office, in collaboration with the Employment and Training Administration.
Check out these short “coffee break” videos that summarize the findings:
- How well has the career pathways approach worked? Video
- Launchpad occupations and why they matter for career pathway programs Video
- Career advancement from mid-level occupations for women and people of color Video
- Evidence-based insights for career pathways programs Video
Afternoon Breakout Sessions
Breakout sessions, 1:30 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Breakout sessions are for participants from adult education (e.g., program managers, regional specialists, career coaches) and DARS programs.
Each breakout will run twice, and participants may attend two breakout sessions.
- Pathways 2 Careers: Career Advancement for Individuals with Disabilities
- Integrated Education and Training (IET) Best Practices
- Career and Technical Education (CTE) as IET Partners
- Registered Apprenticeships for Adult Learners
The Career Pathways Summit is brought to us by the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and the Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education at the Virginia Department of Education.