Back to Professional Development Calendar Homepage
Disabilities and the Adult Learner
This 6-week course will help you discover the keys to strengthening your work with adults who have disabilities. Through multimedia presentations, interactive project assignments, and discussions with your peers and an experienced facilitator, you will:
- learn how to plan and adapt appropriate instruction for adults with both learning and other physical disabilities,
- identify and begin to collaborate with local organizations and state agencies that offer supportive services and resources for adults with disabilities,
- learn about the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and legal responsibilities and services.
Each week's lesson addresses a topic in adult education pertaining to learning disabilities. Course activities include readings, assignments, and discussions. The lessons are sequential.
Lessons and resources included in the course:
- Introduction to Adults and Learning Disabilities
- Introduction to Assistive Technology and Strategies
- Etiquette and Classroom Management
- Self-Disclosure, Disability Services, and Screening Tools
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Legal Responsivities
Completion of the course is designed to require a minimum of 24 hours of your time; approximately four hours a week. However, you may find that you want to spend longer with some topics.
In order to receive the certificate for participating in the Disabilities and the Adult Learner training, you must complete all assignments, respond to each discussion question, and respond at least once to one of your classmates in any of the week’s discussion/assignment forums.
Remember that, although you will gain from doing the activities, you will learn most from discussions with your online colleagues and facilitator. To keep our discussions as productive as possible, you must stay within the timeframe outlined for this course.
To register for this course, go to the Virginia Learning Center (VLC). Please be sure you are logged off of your VLC account before you click on this link. The link will take you to a log in portal. After you log in, you will see the course registration information for this course only. There is a prerequisite, which you must click on and complete prior to registration. This takes the place of and combines our former How to Be a Good Online Learner short course and the Online Learner Contract requirement, with a few simple clicks. We look forward to your participation in Developing Writing Skills in Adults Online Course.
This course is available to out-of-state participants for a fee of $125. To begin the registration process for out-of-state participants, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.